Sunday, July 26, 2009

Rustic Potato Loaves

I really enjoyed making this bread. I had never had Potato bread and was really interested to see if you could taste the potatoes. I couldn't.

Generally everything went well. The recipe instructed to spray the oven walls with water and trap in the steam. I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Instead I added some water to a jelly roll sheet and let it boil off once before I put the bread in and a second time when the bread was baking. I am excited at my knowledge to call the baking sheet I used a jelly roll sheet, that my second issue is a bit annoying.

Part of the shaping instructions was to pull the free end toward you and to dust with flour. I completely understood this would give the loaf a great looking seam. However, when I unwrapped the risen bread from the towel the finished end of both loaves stuck to the towel and ripped off. The bread looked all torn up, and for some reason I thought in the baking process it would smooth itself out. It didn't, and instead it looked like the top of my loaves had been attacked by rodents. You can even kinda see the waffle pattern from the towel.

Regardless, the final result was fantastic. I would definitely make this loaf again. It was so easy and I just love the light taste.

I actually made this loaf on July 19th for our family picnic. Andrew really wanted us to serve "Avery's Best Ever Birthday Sandwiches." Tina kindly gave us the recipe for her tarted up BLT (I should probably call them BMS - Bacon, Mache, & Sun Dried Tomatoes). I loved the Mache, it doesn't just taste great, but looks super cute. The sandwiches were great. The only legit complaint was that they were dry. I think it may have been the Potato Loaf, but I think everyone was just not use to homemade whole wheat bread. My Father-In-law had just purchased his first Potato Loaf and had really enjoyed it. He said mine tasted completely comparable.

Now Andrew's complaint was it just wasn't as delicious as Tina made it. But come on... I am no Tina! And I just couldn't bring myself to slather on the mayo, it is already just a bacon sandwich.

No comments:

Post a Comment