Sunday, July 12, 2009

French Strawberry Cake

I love strawberries, and all week I was very excited to make this cake. I went to the market to buy some fresh local strawberries, as I had already devoured the ones I picked myself.

The Génoise cake was a little more difficult than I had anticipated. I whipped the eggs just right and was folding in the flour and butter no problem. I ran the spatula through one more time, and that is when I noticed there were larger clumps of flour that had not been mixed through. I was so disappointed at my folding skills. I mixed the batter a little more and that is when my airy
whipped cream texture turned into sticky pancake batter.

The final result was very dense and only 3/4 of an inch thick. This sponge cake was missing the sponge. It was way too thin to try to cut in half for laying. The great thing is that with a cake so dense the mushed strawberries didn't soak into the cake making it soggy and all three layers - Cream Cheese/Whipped Cream, Sugared Strawberries, and Génoise - stayed distinct.

The cake was a huge hit and the flavours are amazing.






1 comment:

  1. Well... it still looks good Kristina. We went strawberry picking, so I got to use fresh, Ontario strawberries too. YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete