Sunday, July 19, 2009

Persian Naan

I have been cooking my way through Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution. It is simple, delicious meals that can be made relatively quickly. This week we really enjoyed the Salmon Tikka with Cucumber Yogurt. I hadn't bought enough naan breads for the amount of salmon I purchased, so I decided to give the Persian Naan recipe in Baking with Julia a try.

The recipe and instructions were fairly easy and I baked it in time to finish at noon. That way I could enjoy it fresh out of the oven for lunch and send Andrew to work with it on the night shift.

When I first pulled the naan out of the oven it was wonderfully toasted, and still had a soft texture. It wasn't "candy" like the President's Choice version, but it was good. Andrew had a small taste and agreed.

However, that evening when Andrew got to work the naan had turned into a plank of wood. He tried softening it in the microwave and that made it worse in any of the thin areas and soft only in the ticker areas. The naan was totally useless. He tried eating it only to have a huge mess from the juices from the salmon and cucumber. He could barely enjoy the taste as his jaw hurt so much from chewing. But he had enough left in him to curse Julia's name.

I had tried making naan in the past that was a horrible disaster. It had made a huge hollow football. This recipe did have initial great results, but I can only recommend this recipe it you are going to eat it immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment