Sunday, July 19, 2009

Ka'kat

We were having a family picnic and I thought it would be nice to bring along fresh out of the oven Ka'kat. I really wasn't sure what to expect other than a soft pretzel that looked like a bagel. I tried googling Ka'kat to get some ideas... was I to serve it with mustard or cream cheese? but I really couldn't find anything other than it is a common street food.

I had tried to find mahleb but had no luck, and since it was an optional ingredient I figured it would be okay. Putting together the recipe was really easy and the wait time for rises was manageable enough for me to accomplish the recipe start to finish in the morning getting ready for the picnic. I started as soon as I woke up.

I love to dip all and any food items so I brought along an arugula dip. The fresh Ka'kat was a hit. But I think it was the dip rather than the bread people liked. The bread was pleasant enough, but just like a soft bread stick. It made a wonderful bread for dipping. The plain Ka'kat was so unmemorable that I just had another when I started writing this, but it was just bread - and it is starting to get a little tough.

No comments:

Post a Comment