Sunday, August 2, 2009

Blueberry-Nectarine Pie


All I can say is wow! This is a fantastic pie! All plates were licked clean. I still can't believe I shared.

I love blueberry pie. I tried once to make it from canned filling and frozen pie crust, and it tasted exactly like cans and freezer. So for this time around everything was going to be different. I took the opportunity to buy all fresh ingredients. It was so hard not to eat those sweet smelling nectarines.

I was a little concerned about making the crust. I have a problem where the first time I make a recipe it turns out great, and then the second time around, even when I measure and pay close attention, it bombs terribly. But thankfully the crust worked out really well. I didn't realize the egg wash would brown as it did - this was my first solid crust top and it looked like a messy paint job - I definitely will pay closer attention next time.

The pie filling is the perfect balance of sweetness, not too much added sugar and a nice cut of lemon.

I was really happy I presented the pie before cutting it. Once the knife broke through the crust the filling came rushing out. Everyone was served wonderful intact wedges of crust with slopped filling all over the plate. It looked like a complete mess, but tasted like a little piece of heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment