Sunday, June 14, 2009

French Apple Tart















I love having someone else decide what I will bake each week. Normally if I had crust and apples I would have pie. So I was really excited to make my first tart.


I love food, not just for eating, but the wonderful memories that are associated with food.

Just the thought of a tart brought me back... When I was in Paris I was excited to see beautiful tarts in bakery display cases. Other than just cheap little processed prepackaged cherry tarts, before Paris I really hadn't been exposed to tarts. In Paris tarts were everywhere, even the "fast" food outlets (my favourite Pomme de Pain... Funny, I just checked the website to ensure I spelled the name correct and this week's feature is Peach Tarts!) would have irresistible varieties available. For my own enjoyment I added a picture from breakfast in the park Buttes - Chaumont, enjoying a fresh baked grapefruit and pistachio tart from a local bakery.

So on to my own French Apple Tart...
I didn't have a tart pan, so instead I made it in a pie plate. Other than that, I followed the instructions word for word.
















I was very happy with the crust recipe, and it was just the right amount of flaky.

I just wish I had read through it before so that I could have made and chilled it ahead of time. I am not patient enough for waiting times when I am ready to dig in and bake!

The filling is simple mashed roasted apple with just the right amount of sweet and subtle lemon.

The finished tart was a hit. And it was a nice treat as we ate the first pieces for breakfast.

2 comments:

  1. Kristina, your tart looks great.
    And, your grapefruit/pistachio tart in Paris looks out of this world. Was it to die for? I might have to attempt to make one. I am "nuts" for pistachios!

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg yum! you're so right. the prepackaged tarts are absolutely horrible for you (and they taste icky), so making a homemade recipe is not only more fresh and delicious, but also healthier :]

    ReplyDelete