Sunday, May 3, 2009

Croissants

Behold my delicious flaky croissants!
I love croissants and it was very exciting to make them. I had no idea all the steps involved. It is not very hard or time consuming, just a lot of waiting... and waiting... and waiting.

I keep wondering with this many steps involved who figures this all out in the first place. It took me four days of following instructions; how did someone make the instructions in the first place? And I have modern conveniences, I assume the first croissants were made in a rustic place and in a very different time.

I am very happy I read through all the instructions first and watched the PBS segment. They would say assuring things during the segment such as not panicking if you see the butter coming through the dough. That was the best piece of advice since my dough looked like rolled out butter mixed with a little flour here and there.
I thought since there was so much effort involved and my love for croissants, I would use a combination of whole wheat flour and bleached... so that I wouldn't feel as guilty as I ate them all. No sharing this time!

I made the almond filling and filled all the croissants I made. I froze half the dough just in case the first batch didn't taste great and I could try again. I think the final result is absolutely wonderful, and turned out perfect (if I do say so myself). 
Andrew says delicious on the outside, but that the sweetness on the inside ruins it. Just means more for me!







1 comment:

  1. Great job Kristina! Are you happy you made them?! Aren't you so proud of yourself?

    ReplyDelete