Sunday, July 11, 2010

Apple Upside-Down Chiffon Cake

I previously made a nectarine version of this cake and it was a huge crowd pleaser.

As much as I loved it, I had a feeling I had done something wrong (too much butter or undercooked) as it seemed too wet. Not pleasantly moist, just wet.

I am not talented enough to start modifying recipes, so I just ensured I didn't add too much butter to the bottom of the pan and that the cake was well cooked.
This cake batter is so different than any others I
make. The recipe calls for 1/2 cup lemon juice and it is like a science experiment as the dry ingredients are mixed in and the batter takes on a spongy texture. At first the cake satisfyingly rises in the oven, but then quickly deflates as the browning really starts.

I definitely cooked the cake longer and better this time, but when the cake was flipped there was oozing butter everywhere.

I really like how this cake tastes. I like that the cake has texture and isn't too dense. But I don't find the top layer moist, just wet.

No comments:

Post a Comment