Sunday, April 5, 2009

Meringue Cookies (Egg Whites & Yolks)

This week was Meringue Cookies. I was a little sad because I don't really like them, but excited to learn to make meringue. Maybe one day I will be able to make my own Macaroons.

Meringue is so scary with all the rules - use the correct bowl that is super clean and dry; separate eggs when cold but whip egg whites when room temperature; whip just enough but not too much; and the worst - only make on a dry day and didn't it ran every day this week.

There was a 12 hour window in the forecast where it wouldn't actually be raining, so I took my opportunity. Maybe beginners luck, but it was a piece of cake to make the meringue. I followed all the timing outlined in the book and my stiff shiny peaks looked fantastic. I tried to take a picture like the example shown in the book, but it doesn't look as impressive when you don't have a clean beater. 

The only issues were my own silliness.  I decided my microwave should be the timer, only the outlet and timer button are a little further than arms reach. Lucky the meringue stayed in the bowl and off the floor. I also started out using a smaller bowl, I read the words double in size but I didn't actually think about it. Transferring the sticky foamy substance from one bowl to the other was a bit messy. I really need some piping lessons. I would be going along so proud of myself, and then notice a giant blob about to shoot out the back. Refilling the piping bag was a nightmare on its own.

The end result was success! Shiny, crispy, perfectly white little cookies. I knew I wouldn't eat many as they were, and I didn't know how many we could feed to our coworkers, so I made them all into sandwich cookies with a little chocolate ganache centre. Really I just want an opportunity to say I made Petits Fours. I am not sure why, but all the pictures were blurry, but you can use your imagination (yes they looked that fantastic). 

Andrew's coworkers sent their cookies back. I knew they would be sticky, as more rain was coming but I figured if they didn't know they were not suppose to be chewy they might be eaten up, and they had chocolate. Apparently the stickiness turned them off. 

But not at my work, amazingly they were devoured. Everyone said they were great and didn't mind the marshmallow quality. I got a nice compliment on the shine too.

Before I tackled this weeks recipe, I mentioned to a coworker I thought it was a waste to throw out all those egg yolks. So she showed up with a bunch of bananas and a cook book, and placed her order for Custard Pie. This I was excited for. 

I love graham crust so I was pretty excited to make my first one. The filling was alternating layers of vanilla custard and sliced bananas. And I used my remaining meringue to finish it off.

Andrew wasn't a fan of the pie. He said it was for people who love bananas. I am one of those people. There were about five of us at work that just dug right in. This pie was a little piece of heaven. 

No comments:

Post a Comment