Sunday, April 12, 2009

Buttermilk Scones















Mmmmm.... I love scones. I decided to make and serve the scones on Easter Sunday for brunch. A nice treat to hold us over while the house filled with the delicious scent of ham.

I was happy how the scones turned out. However, I am too accustomed to eating Starbuck's scones so I was sensitive to how homemade these tasted.

I really wanted to make pumpkin scones. I asked my coworker Krista to place an order for a second flavour and she picked lemon.

I did some research on the internet to make my flavours happen, and it was pretty easy.

I followed all the instruction in the recipe, using whole wheat all purpose flour. After adding half the buttermilk, I split the batter into two. One bowl I added half the remaining buttermilk and the zest of one lemon. In the other bowl I added pumpkin puree instead of the rest of the buttermilk and pinches of various spices.

Andrew and his dad were not sure what scones were, but they both enjoyed them. They both picked the pumpkin as their favourite. The lemon was really good spread with blueberry jam.

I have a lot of buttermilk and pumpkin puree left, so I will probably whip up another batch this week. Yummy.

1 comment:

  1. Good job Kristina!
    I love making pumpkin scones. You should melt white chocolate over them too! Yum!

    Your fruit cobblers look delish too!

    ReplyDelete